Friday, July 7, 2017

Good Fortune from the Gala

It was the summer of 2007, and my friends were calling me like crazy to see if I had seen my ex on HGTV's second season of Design Star.  I hadn't.  I was living blissfully unaware of that ex's existence, but once I heard that he was on TV, it was like trying not to think about a red car after being told not to do it.  I found myself having to check in and see how he was doing.

This ex broke my heart, and, though I dated him way back in 2004, I had only recently begun to get over him at that time.  Watching him on the TV was painful.  It brought back all the hurt and the loss that I had felt when we broke up, and I instantly regretted tuning into the show, but, after the same thing happened a few more times with other exes, I began to ask questions.

In 2010, another ex became famous on season 7 of Project Runway.  He gave me permission to use his name to lend credibility to this post.  If you would like to know more about him, his name is Jonathon Joseph Peters, and he is currently living in New England.  He is an amazing designer, and I highly recommend that you check out his work.  After hooking up with a bridal dress designer while he was visiting friends in Philadelphia, his success skyrocketed.  The year before we connected he was unknown.  A year after our romantic adventure, his low-end dress sold for $10,000, and his face was on billboards in New York City.  The other examples are less about fame and more about career success, and you probably wouldn't know the men if I listed them off, but I have quite a few exes who have achieved professional and personal success after we broke up.  After we broke up in 2007, another ex (who shall remain nameless, because he has requested it), got a promotion to store manager of a local Panera, which jettisoned his salary from $10 an hour to $62,000 a year.

Noticing a pattern, I started to ask myself what exactly was going on?

It wasn't until I earned my Third Degree in Wicca and I started studying the male mysteries that I began to understand this phenomenon.

As far back as Mesopotamia they understood this connection between good fortune and sexual intercourse with gay men.  There are Babylonian religious texts used specifically for divining the future which gave predictions based on sexual acts.

"If a man has intercourse with the hindquarters of his equal (another man), that man will be foremost among his brothers and colleagues."

"If a man has intercourse with a male cult prostitute, trouble will leave him."

"If a man has intercourse with a male courtier, for one whole year the worry which plagued him will vanish."

It does seem that the Babylonians felt that there needed to be some training for the gay man in question to be able to confer this level of good fortune to his partner, though.  Admittedly, there are also some negative predictions regarding sex with other men in Babylonian sacred texts:

"If a man yearns to express his manhood while in prison and thus, like a male cult prostitute, mating with men becomes his desire, he will experience evil."

"If a man has intercourse with a male slave, care will seize him."

While the homosexual behavior itself is not derailed in these documents, there does seem to be etiquette requirements for engaging in these practices, many of which revolve around the social status of the partners involved.  Whether priest or noble-born, it doesn't seem to matter, but it is clear that ordinary citizens were not qualified to bestow these blessings just through homosexual interactions.

Personally, I had not formally begun my training into the High Priesthood of the Old Religion at the point in my personal history that we are talking about here, but I had been studying the Craft and practicing independently for a little over a decade.  So, it's entirely possible that I might have accidentally stumbled upon something that unlocked this hidden mystery for me.  I don't generally like to think about past lives or talk about them in conversation, because the whole thing is a bit too trite for my tastes, but it is entirely possible that my part (whatever it was) in my partners' successes was due to the fact that I had been an initiated witch in a previous life.  I can't rule that out either.

Ultimately, regardless of why this thing had happened, it was incredibly interesting to see this personal quality bore out time and time again in the history of gay men as magical workers for their communities.  It helped me to feel that I was on the right path, and it gave me a sense of pride and purpose.

Have you personally noticed something similar?  If so, the path of the gay male witch might be calling you!


No comments:

Post a Comment